News & Events
Family and Friends Weekend to Feature Alumni Artists
Hampshire College’s annual Family and Friends weekend will take place October 23–25, 2015.
Performances and exhibits by accomplished alumni artists will highlight Hampshire College’s annual Family and Friends weekend, October 23–25.
“The weekend is an opportunity to see the full breadth of what the Hampshire community has to offer,” says Melissa Mills-Dick, director of alumni and family relations. “You can feel immersed in the life of the College while enjoying a beautiful fall weekend on campus.”
Among highlights of this year’s Family and Friends Weekend events are:
- Karen Marshall 75F’s exhibit Between Girls: A Passage to Womanhood 1985–2015, in the Harold F. Johnson Library art gallery. The exhibit is the culmination of a three-decade-long documentary study in which Marshall followed a group of middle-class New York City girls from the ages of 16 to 45. The opening reception is Friday, October 23, 5–6:30 p.m.
- The symposium Tea, Rice, and Bees: Food, Environment, and Sustainable Communities in Asia explores the original research of students, faculty, and alums supported by the Luce Initiative in Asian Studies and the Environment (LIASE), a four-year grant awarded to Hampshire in 2014. Four panels will run from 1 to 5 p.m. in Franklin Patterson Hall’s East Lecture Hall.
- The Royal Frog Ballet, an arts collective from western Massachusetts founded by Hampshire alums, will present The Surrealist Cabaret all three days of Family and Friends Weekend. Beginning each day at 5 p.m. at the Farm Center, the walking performance and installation event travels audiences through the farm landscape at autumnal sunset.
- The Farm Festival, from noon to 4 p.m. on Saturday, offers horse-drawn hayrides, cider pressing, student-group demonstrations, and other entertainment.
- The 2015 Alumni Reel, a compilation of short clips from recent works by alums in the film and video industries, premieres Saturday at 4 p.m. in the Jerome Liebling Center’s Bill Brand Screening Room.
See the full schedule and register here.
For more information about Family and Friends weekend, please call 413.559.6638 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.