The Holistic Learning Program responds to your desire for self-improvement.
Our mission is to create space for learners to:
- Explore and identify goals.
- Create self-directed action plans.
- Develop adaptive skills to problem-solve barriers to learning.
- See techniques modeled, try/practice them, and learn to implement them independently.
- Connect to resources.
- Foster balance and wellness.
Learn more about our philosophy and pedagogy
We provide support around:
- Academic Tools and Strategies
- Time Management: Building and organizing a schedule, daily routines, problem-solving procrastination, and productivity.
- Learning Skills: Capturing information in the classroom (note-taking), processing that information (study skills), and manipulating ideas and information to meet the objectives of your courses (your academic process).
- Adaptive Skills
- Learning Style: Assessment and strategies for playing to your strengths.
- Habits: Understanding how they form and how to change them.
- Goal Setting: How to set a goal, identify action items to work towards it, and problem-solve barriers.
Connect with HLP
The office of accessibility resources and services (OARS) developed the Holistic Learning Program with the goal of making coaching, resources, and programming accessible to all students, whether they are able to disclose a disability or not.
Come to a Coaching Session
- Tuesdays 2-4 p.m. in the Knowledge Commons (back left corner of the Airport Lounge, library)
Can't make drop in? Call 413.559.5498 to schedule a meeting* with Aaron Ferguson, director of OARS.
Email HLP@hampshire.edu with questions.
What does coaching involve?
- Coaching involves working one-on-one with a staff member. It is non-clinical, is not therapy, and is not a replacement for those services.
- An initial meeting allows students to discuss their academic background and learn about HLP staff’s relevant knowledge and experience. We discuss what brings you into HLP and what the program offers.
- Together we can establish a baseline understanding of which tools you are currently using, what you do well, and what your learning style and preferences are or we can just dive into a specific question or issue you want to tackle.
- From there, we determine what skills you are looking to develop and what methods you might use to explore your goals.
- HLP is designed to facilitate an iterative process. Different people need different amounts of time to try out tools and strategies, or process the last coaching session before coming back to workshop more skills. As a result, our program can be engaged with regularly or as needed*.
- Staff can suggest small, incremental tweaks that add up to a substantial change over the semester, or students may benefit from meeting once regarding a particular tool, strategy, or problem.
*HLP is a small, new program in development. At this time, coaching is available on a first-come-first serve basis at drop-ins and limited scheduled appointments. If there is not currently space to schedule a coaching session, we encourage you to come to drop-ins and view our resources online hamp.it/toolbox.
We look forward to expanding our services in the future with the development of a peer mentorship program. Please contact us if you are interested in becoming trained as a student mentor in the 2018/19 academic year.