Welcome to Hampshire College and the Office of Accessibility Resources and Services (OARS). Below you will find a host of resources to get you connected with OARS and well on your way to preparing for your first semester at Hampshire. We look forward to working with you!
REGISTRATION for PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS
As a prospective student, you probably have many questions regarding accommodations. We encourage you to contact OARS so we can answer your questions and concerns about the registration process and corresponding documentation standards.
Your questions and concerns do not affect admissions to the College.
The most important step you can make as a person with a disability is to register for services. Contact OARS as soon as possible so we can coordinate required accommodations, programs, and support before you arrive on campus to begin classes. Your needs may be critical or time-sensitive, and we need time to put these in place.
You may not anticipate using these accommodations right away. Disability-related documentation is kept strictly confidential, and students can present documentation without requesting services or accommodations. Should an unanticipated need for services or accommodations arise, OARS can begin to assist the student without delay if their disability-related documentation is already on file. It is better to have them in place if and when you need them.
The registration process begins by completing a self-report and submitting medical/diagnostic documentation of your disability using the OARS Registration Form, a secure and confidential process that creates your personal account on the OARS Portal for managing accommodations.
Appointments, if needed, can be in person, by phone, or on Zoom. You are welcome to write to us to authorize a parent or guardian, guidance counselor, advocate, teacher, and/or staff member to participate in this meeting. We want to ensure your smooth transition to Hampshire College.
THE REGISTRATION PROCESS
- Student: Complete the online self-report through our secure registration form.
- Student: Upload medical/diagnostic documentation of disability with your registration form, or directly to your OARS Portal account once your self-report is submitted and reviewed.
- Student: Watch for an email sent to your new Hampshire College address from The Office of Accessibility Resources and Services (OARS) to confirm we received your request, and to notify you of any missing documentation.
- OARS: Determination of accommodation eligibility. A representative from OARS will contact you to inform you of your status. Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis and in keeping with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- OARS: Sending notification of eligibility for dining, housing, and campus access accommodations.
- Student: Review your account on the OARS Portal. For academic and exam-based accommodations, submit your Semester Request form each semester to deliver approved accommodation information directly to your professors and advisor.
- OARS: Collaborating Offices, and Faculty: Provision of accommodations
- OARS: Evaluation of accommodations
Schedule a meeting with us:
Planning to visit campus before you've made a decision to attend? Schedule a prospective student meeting to learn more about OARS and support services relevant to your future Hampshire experience.
- Review our registration process above. We do not formally review or approve accommodation request before a student has matriculated, but we can answer general questions about documentation requirements and available accommodations.
- Find us on the campus map before coming to campus
Before Arriving to Hampshire:
- Check out resources available to incoming students.
- Register with OARS by completing your online self-report
- Upload medical/diagnostic documentation of disability with your registration form, or directly to your OARS Portal account once your self-report is submitted and reviewed.
- Academic accommodations can be requested at any time, but the earlier, the better.
- Housing-based accommodations have a more specific timeline. Learn more on the Housing Accommodation Page
- Become familiar with the Holistic Learning Program.
- Consultation services throughout the year to address any barriers you encounter in coursework or on campus.