Replacement and Duplicate Diplomas

Replacement and Duplicate Diploma Policy

In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), only the individual who earned the diploma can request a replacement or duplicate diploma.

Replacement and duplicate diplomas have the notation "Replacement Diploma" or "Duplicate Diploma" written on the bottom, respectively.

The College will try to provide replacement diplomas with the signatures of the officials who originally signed the diploma. If the original signatures are not available, however, the replacement or duplicate diploma will be issued with the signatures of current officials.

Replacement and duplicate diplomas take between six and eight weeks to process.

Requesting a Replacement Diploma

To request a replacement diploma, submit the Replacement Diploma Request Form via mail. Telephone, fax, or email requests are not accepted.

Complete the information on the form, have your signature certified by a notary public, and return the form to the following address.

Attn: Diplomas
Dean of Faculty Office
Hampshire College
893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002

Replacement diplomas are reissued for a fee of $75.00. Please include a check or money order made payable to the Trustees of Hampshire College.

For replacement diplomas, the original diploma must be returned or you must attest to the loss of the original diploma on the notarized Replacement Diploma Request Form.

Please be advised that if you are requesting a diploma in a name other than the one originally issued, you must also provide legal documentation of name change (e.g., certified copy of marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order).

Requesting a Duplicate Diploma for Employment Purposes

Unless your prospective or current employer is asking specifically for a copy of your diploma, a transcript is a more legal and expedient document to serve as proof of your course work and graduation. Employers may also accept an enrollment verification letter that verifies degrees awarded by letter.

To request an enrollment verification letter, contact central records at 413.559.5421 or Transcript requests require your signature.
Learn more about requesting transcripts »

In many cases, a notarized photocopy of the original diploma will suffice. If an original copy of the diploma is required, however, please follow the instructions above for requesting a replacement diploma.