Field Study, Exchange, or Leave of Absence

Field Study or Exchange

Field study at Hampshire is an approved semester of academic work or study that requires a student to be away from the College for a semester. Field study status assumes that the student is engaged in academic work away from the College, not just living off campus. Field Study should only be taken when a student has adequate academic preparation. Field Study may be international or domestic and may be course-based or self-designed. Field Study must be pre-approved by Division II or Division III committees. The enrollment notification deadlines are listed in the academic calendar with tuition information available on the student financial services website.

Refer to The Student Handbook: Field StudyCourse-Based Field StudySelf-Designed Field Study

View Filing Procedures for Field Study

Exchange is the term for participation in a Hampshire-sponsored program at another site away from the College. All Hampshire Exchange programs are administered by the global education office (GEO). Students interested in participating in exchange must follow the GEO application procedures. The Hampshire Exchange application deadlines (fall and spring term) are listed each year on the GEO website and extensively advertised around campus. Students who enroll at a program or institution where Hampshire has an exchange agreement must do so through Hampshire College exchange status. Students may not enroll with Hampshire partners while on field study status.

A student on field study or exchange is supervised by an appropriate person at the field study or exchange site. A semester of field study or exchange is considered a semester of enrollment for the purpose of academic standing (see section on Satsifactory Academic Progress).

View Filing Procedures for Exchange

Leave of Absence from Full-time Enrollment

There are various reasons students might consider a personal leave: to take time away from Hampshire, including personal circumstances, the desire to travel or work; or simply the need for a break. A personal leave is not intended for students planning to obtain academic credit while away. A personal leave may be granted for one term.

In extenuating circumstances, students already enrolled in a term may take a personal leave for the semester, but must meet with a CASA dean to request the leave by the end of the add/drop period at the beginning of the term. Requests for a personal leave after add/drop will be denied, and are considered to be requests for withdrawal from the institution.

Note: A leave of absence is not an active enrollment status, regardless of the nature of activities pursued.

Students on leave of absence do not have an advisor; may not complete divisional exams; may not negotiate the Division II concentration form or the Division III contract; and may not work with faculty. In addition, a student on leave of absence may not have use of any Hampshire College or Five College facilities. Specifically, this involves the library; the Robert Crown Center; the Hampshire College or University of Massachusetts Amherst health services; the Outdoors Program and Recreational Athletics college-sponsored trips; enrolling, teaching, or auditing Hampshire or Five College interchange courses; having a job on campus; or having a validated Hampshire ID card.

Students may purchase the supplemental health insurance offered by Hampshire College that entitles leave students to medical care as outlined in the College insurance company brochure and on the student financial services website. Supplemental insurance does not cover a student for care at the Hampshire College or University of Massachusetts Amherst health services.

Refer to the Student Handbook for more information.

View Filing Procedures for Leave of Absence

Returning from Leave, Field Study, or Exchange?

Information for students planning on returning to Hampshire.