While many things have shifted in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Hampshire Counseling Services remains committed to supporting students well-being and growth. This year, counseling staff are providing mental health care remotely via Zoom for Healthcare, which is a HIPPA compliant and confidential platform.
- For students living on campus and in the Pioneer Valley: The counseling office will be offering telepsychotherapy and phone consultation during our normal hours, 9 a.m.–noon and 1–4:30 p.m. Monday–Friday. Please call the office in order to set up a Zoom appointment with a clinician.
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I feel urgently in need, and I would like to speak with a counselor right away?
If you are facing a life-threatening emergency, please call 911 or go to your local emergency room.
For all other urgent situations:
- During normal working hours (9 a.m.–noon and 1–4:30 p.m. Monday–Friday): You may call Health and Counseling Services at 413.559.5458 and ask to schedule a same-day appointment.
- After hours and on weekends: You may call Health and Counseling Services at 413.559.5458 and press 1 to speak with a clinician. Please know that during this busy time, there is sometimes a wait of up to 5 minutes before you connect with someone. Do not hang up.
What is the Patient Portal
Hampshire Health and Counseling Services utilizes an electronic health record system called Medicat. Medicat has a patient portal through which you can confidentially communicate with your counselor or health care provider. (Traditional email is not a confidential form of communication.)
To access the portal, please go to https://umass.medicatconnect.com/login.aspx, and follow instructions on the screen.
If your provider contacts you via the patient portal, you will receive an email on your Hampshire email account from NoReply@Medicat.com. Follow the instructions in the email to access your message.
I am in therapy at Hampshire Counseling Services, how can I contact my counselor?
You may reach your counselor or another counseling staff member by calling our main number 413.559.5458 or via the patient portal. In your voicemail or portal message, please include your name, current location, phone number, and several good times to call you back.
I have never seen a counselor at Hampshire Counseling Services; May I set up an intake appointment?
Due to Covid uncertainty. we are not currently providing in-person psychotherapy services at the Counseling Center. We are providing HIPAA compliant Zoom psychotherapy sessions. Please call # 413-559-5458 if you would like to schedule an appointment.
Additional Information and Support Options
- For students with the Hampshire Sponsored Blue Cross Blue Shield Insurance, online behavioral health appointments are available through: https://myblue.bluecrossma.com/health-plan/well-connection
Crisis Hotlines and Online Services
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 800.273.8255
- The Trevor Project (LGBTQ Suicide Hotline): 866.488.7386
- Trans Lifeline: 877.565.8860
- Crisis Text Line: Text HOME to 741741
- Crisis Text Line for Students of Color: Text STEVE to 741741
- Directory of International Suicide Hotlines: https://www.suicidestop.com/call a hotline.html
Please know we are here to support and assist you along the way in any way we are able, so do not be afraid to reach out!
Counseling Services is staffed with a diverse group of clinicians. Please see the staff bios for more information. We are available for brief consultations, short-term psychotherapy, crisis support, and group therapy. If you require more support than we are able to provide, we have connections with many private practice psychotherapists in the area, and would be happy to help you find the one that meets your needs. We also work closely with private practice psychiatrists as well as with the experienced psychiatrists at the University of Massachusetts mental health services. We regularly refer students for whom it is appropriate to these physicians for medications, consultation, and management.
Hampshire College Counseling Services is located in Stiles House North on the East side of campus between the Red Barn and the Hitchcock Center.