Grants and Scholarships

Hampshire College participates in various federal and state grant programs, and we provide institutional grants.  All students receiving federal, state, or institutional funding must meet the College's Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) guidelines.

Full-year offers are disbursed by the semester; for example, one-half of a Pell Grant is disbursed for the fall semester and the other half will be disbursed for the spring semester.

Funds are applied to the students' bills. The earliest funds may be applied to the bills is ten days before the start of classes. Refunds, if any, are available after classes begin. Total aid including grants, outside scholarships, parent tuition benefits, work-study, and loans cannot exceed the student's cost of attendance.

Federal Pell Grants

These are federal grants available to students with relatively high levels of demonstrated need who are citizens or permanent residents of the United States.

Need is determined by the U.S. Education Department using the federal methodology, and this formula is applied uniformly to all applicants. The maximum annual Pell Grant for the 2023-24 year is $7,395; the minimum annual Pell Grant is $767. Students may receive a Pell Grant up to a maximum of 12 semesters, which can be used at Hampshire even if no other aid is received.

Students must complete the FAFSA and Hampshire College must receive a valid FAFSA report to determine one's eligibility for the Pell Grant.

If a student has already received a financial aid package from Hampshire and later receives a Federal Pell Grant, the Hampshire Grant will be reduced by the amount of the Federal Pell Grant.

We disburse Pell Grants at the beginning of each semester so the funds will be applied to a student's bill within the first week of school. This early disbursement will assist students who are expecting a refund from the College and need the funds to purchase required books and supplies. Students need to ensure that they accept their financial aid awards and check in for the semester. Failure to do these steps will delay the processing of their Pell Grant.

State Grants

Massachusetts and Vermont provide need-based grant funds that can be used at Hampshire College. The amounts of these awards vary depending upon the state, and range from $1,000 to $3,000. Students must apply directly to their state programs using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); some state programs also require additional application documentation.

Most states use the federal methodology to determine eligibility. If a student is eligible, the grant will be credited to their Hampshire account when the College receives the funds. If a student has already received an aid package from Hampshire and later receives a state grant, the Hampshire Grant will be reduced by the amount of the state grant. State grants include the Gear Up Scholarship, as well as other scholarships managed by the Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA from Massachusetts) and Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC). 

It is the responsibility of the student to apply for the state grant each year. We will include the state grant as part of the student's expected aid package. If the student is later determined by the state grant agency to be ineligible for the state grant because of something the student reported on the FAFSA or the state grant application or based on when the application was completed, or any other situation causing the application to be ineligible, the state grant will be canceled. We will not be able to replace the lost state grant with Hampshire funds. For example, the student's state grant application was completed late or not completed at all, so the student is no longer eligible for the state grant; we will not replace the lost grant with an increased Hampshire Grant.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

These are federal grants allocated directly to colleges and universities to be distributed to eligible students. Priority is given to students with exceptional need who qualify for a Federal Pell Grant and the Hampshire Grant. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) serves as the application for this program. Grants are up to $2,000 per year and are credited directly to the student's account. If a student has already received a financial aid package from Hampshire and later receives an SEOG Grant, the Hampshire Grant will be reduced by the amount of the SEOG Grant.

Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarships

Students who are eligible for the Federal Pell Grant whose parent or guardian died in the line of duty while performing as a public safety officer are eligible to apply for the Children of Fallen Heroes Scholarship. Approved students will receive a maximum Federal Pell Grant for the award year for which the determination of eligibility is made.

Hampshire Grants

Hampshire College Grants are funded out of Hampshire's general revenue and by private gifts designated for financial aid. These grants are provided after self-help (loan and work) and after all of the funds from the programs listed above have been applied. Hampshire Grants are credited directly to the student's account. If the student receives a merit scholarship through the admissions office, any Hampshire Grant the student is offered will be reduced by the amount of the Merit Scholarship. Hampshire Grants, as referenced here and elsewhere on the College's website, refer to the Hampshire Grant, Hampshire Opportunity Grant, James Baldwin Grant, and the International Tuition Grant.

We use the FAFSA to determine eligibility for U.S. citizens and permanent residents and the CSS Profile and Noncustodial Profile to determine eligibility for international students.

Endowed Scholarships

Hampshire College receives funds from alumni, Hampshire families, and other individuals, as well as from foundations and organizations to support its need-based grant program. There is no separate application for these funds. The financial aid office determines the recipients according to the donors' criteria, and those students receive endowed scholarships as part of their institutional grant aid. If a student has already received an aid package from Hampshire and later receives an endowed scholarship, the Hampshire Grant will be reduced by the amount of the endowed scholarship.

Outside Scholarships

Many private and civic organizations offer scholarships for a particular field of study or other interests. In addition, corporate employers frequently offer grants to dependents of employees. Information on these and other scholarships should be reviewed for eligibility requirements. Visit our Scholarship Search section for advice on applying for scholarships and a list of online search sites.

In order to provide an incentive for students to seek and obtain scholarships from outside sources, Hampshire allows students to reduce or replace the federal loan and work portions of their award before reducing the Hampshire Grant when they secure private scholarship funds. Please note, however, that students who reduce or decline the original student loan as listed on their original award notification are not eligible for additional institutional or auxiliary institutional grant aid, if requested, including, but not limited to, the music grant and the Div III grant. Please review the Treatment of Private Outside Scholarships on our Policies page for more information.

Tuition benefits from other educational institutions reduce the Hampshire Grant dollar for dollar.

We also provide matching grants for several outside funds including AmeriCorps grants.

Note that a student's total aid including grants, outside scholarships, parent tuition benefits, work study, and loans cannot exceed the student's cost of attendance. In some cases, if the outside scholarship is a large amount we may need to reduce work study, loans, and grants to allow the outside award to be used. Contact the financial aid office for more details.

Veterans' Benefits

Students who have served in the military may be eligible for benefits under the G.I. Bill. Benefits may also be available to dependents of some deceased or permanently disabled veterans, if the death or disablement is service-related. Students can obtain more information from their local or regional veterans administration office. Any student who is entitled to educational assistance under chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or Chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill ®benefits is considered a “covered individual.” 

Hampshire College must certify a covered individual’s academic status before the student can receive any benefits. If a covered individual receives a Hampshire financial aid package and later receives VA benefits, the Hampshire Grant is reduced by the amount of the VA educational benefit.

Hampshire College also participates in the Yellow Ribbon award.

Covered individuals who may be eligible for the G.I. Bill or Yellow Ribbon awards must provide a “certificate of eligibility” to the College's Office of Central Records. A “certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website – eBenefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes). Any covered individual may attend or participate in the course of their education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

  • The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.

  • 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.

The financial aid office will add any pending aid to the individual’s records. This pending aid will appear on the student's electronic bill. The Office of Student Accounts will not assess a late charge on these funds if the funds are not received by the College's bill due date. Additionally, the College will not deny access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or require that a covered individual borrow additional funds due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33. The covered individual is responsible to make payment arrangements on the balance on the bill otherwise a late fee may be charged on the outstanding bill balance.

NOTE: Aid from outside agencies is not credited to the covered individual’s Hampshire account until the College receives the funds. The account will be credited when the College receives the funds. The earliest that payments may be applied to the account is 10 days prior to the first day of classes.