Campus Safety and Security
Campus Safety and Security (CSS) safeguards people and property on the Hampshire College campus. CSS should be alerted to any situation that threatens a safe academic and social environment.
CSS is not a sworn police force; it has no authority to arrest. We maintain working relationships with police and fire departments of Amherst and Hadley, the Massachusetts State Police, and the Northwestern District Attorney's office for matters beyond the scope of community safeguarding.
- In an emergency, from a campus hard line or cell phone: Dial 911
- For non-life-threatening matters that require the immediate assistance of a campus safety and security officer: Dial 413.559.5424
- For administrative, parking, and lost and found questions: Dial 413.559.6151 or email email@example.com
- Using your TTY: Call MassRelay at 711 or 800.439.2370
- Speech-to-Speech (for clarity): Call MassRelay STS at 866.645.9870
CSS Administrative Staff: (DO NOT call x5424 to reach CSS administrators)
- Chuck Furgal (he, him), director of campus safety and security, firstname.lastname@example.org, 413.559.6782
- Zachary Parker-Mayforth (he, him), lead supervisor, zjpPS@hampshire.edu, 413.559.6588
- Zeffa Kinney (she, her), administrative coordinator, email@example.com, 413.559.5345
CSS Officers answer 413.559.5424 (you can dial x5424 from a campus phone)
Campus Safety officers are trained professionals. Each officer is certified yearly in cardiopulmonary resuscitation and First Responder, trained in sexual assault and trauma response, accessibility services and intervention/response to witnessed or reported incidents of bias and hate.
- Noah Parker (he, him)
- Keian Ruscetta (he, him)
- Wanda Vasquez (she, her)
- Ed Wyzik (he, him)
- Baker Al Janabi (he, him)
- Ken Jensen (he/him)
- Demetrius Otey (he, him)
- Lori Bouchard (she, her)
- Michael Ruggeri (he, him)
24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, CSS provides these essential services to students, staff, faculty, and visitors:
- Responding to medical and fire emergencies
- Responding to vehicular problems and accidents
- Securing and providing access to buildings
- Registering vehicles and issuing citations for parking violations including unregistered cars
- Responding to and investigating reports of threats or crimes against people or property
Campus Safety and Security Mission Statement:
Our mission is to support the learning and work of the entire community by protecting life and property and providing services to students, faculty, staff, and visitors. The department is committed to community safeguarding, and respects and protects the civil rights of all individuals, with strict adherence to the principles of accountability and transparency. We are united in our commitment to address social injustice, and quality of life issues by engaging one another in problem-solving partnerships.
If you would like to be part of the campus safety advisory committee, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
When there are complaints involving the safeguarding of the campus, community members and officers are best served by a system of accountability that is expeditious and fair to all involved.
We value your feedback! Please share your experience with Campus Safety and Security using this feedback form.
If you would like to report a crime or problem on campus, please complete this complaint form.