See our updates on planning for Fall 2020.

Admission & Aid Applicant

A Flower in the Hampshire College Greenhouse

For international students 

View Information Sheet

Information for high school students

Steps to Applying for Financial Aid

We encourage students to apply for financial aid at the same time they apply for admission to Hampshire College. Domestic applicants (U.S. citizens and permanent resident aliens) who do not apply for need-based aid at the time of admission must be prepared to pay for the first two semesters of enrollment. The earliest that we can accept a new application for these students will be for the second year of enrollment (third semester). These domestic students may be eligible for federal aid during their first two semesters. International students who do not apply for aid at the time of admission cannot be considered for aid at a later time. Financial aid is not available for students who seek a second bachelor's degree.

Outside scholarships may provide funding that does not need to be re-paid. Learn more about outside scholarships.

1. Apply by the appropriate due date:

Admission Type 2021-2022 PROFILE and
Non-Custodial PROFILE*
2021-2022 Free Application for
Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Early Decision
(Fall 2021)

November 16 November 16

Early Action
(Fall 2021)

December 1 December 1

Early Decision 2
(Fall 2021)

January 4 January 4

Regular Decision
(Fall 2021)

January 15 January 15

Transfer Student
(Fall 2021)

March 15 March 15

Spring 2021

November 16 November 16

* if applicable

2. Submit required forms: CSS Profile and FAFSA:

All applicants (U.S. citizens and permanent resident aliens) who wish to be considered for financial aid must complete the CSS Profile and the FAFSA. We use the Profile, along with the FAFSA, to determine institutional aid including the Hampshire Grant. We use the FAFSA to determine eligibility for various federal and state aid programs, including federal student loans, federal and state grants, and federal work study. 

Applicants applying for admission for the 2021-2022 academic year may complete and submit their 2021-2022 FAFSA and 2021-2022 Profile forms as early as October 1, 2020. Please note that the Profile and FAFSA forms must both be received by the due dates listed above.

Applicants applying for admission for the Spring 2021 semester need to complete the 2020-2021 CSS Profile and FAFSA forms. 

  • CSS Profile We use this form, along with the FAFSA, to help determine your eligibility for Hampshire College aid including the Hampshire Grant. The CSS Profile forms are available for you to complete beginning on October 1.  Complete the Profile online as soon as possible by the due dates listed above for your admissions type of application. If your biological or adoptive parents are not together, the parent with whom you reside or who provides more financial support completes the Profile. The other parent will need to complete the Non-custodial Profile; see below. Click here for more information about the Profile. NOTE: If you are not planning to apply for institutional need-based aid, the CSS Profile is not required; please notify the financial aid office if this is the case.
  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) This form determines your eligibility for federal and state aid including federal work study, federal loans, federal grants, and state grants. The FAFSA is available for you to complete beginning on October 1. We STRONGLY ENCOURAGE you to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) on the FAFSA to ensure that accurate tax and income data is submitted. Please complete the FAFSA by the due dates listed above for your admission type of application. This form includes information about yourself and your custodial parent(s). If your custodial parent has remarried, your step-parent's information must be included on the FAFSA. Click here for more information about the FAFSA. International student applicants do not submit this form.
  • Non-custodial Profile This form is required ONLY if your biological or adoptive parents are separated, divorced, or never married and not living together. If applicable, both the CSS Profile (completed by the student and custodial parent and spouse, if remarried) and the Non-custodial Profile (completed by the non-custodial parent and spouse, if remarried) are required to complete your financial aid application for institutional aid. The Non-custodial Profile is available online using the password obtained by the student after registering for the Profile. The non-custodial parent should complete the form online as soon as possible.

It is important to use the same name and correct Social Security number on all application materials. The name used must match the name on the Social Security card. If the above forms are submitted with an incorrect Social Security number, we will require a copy of your Social Security card.

You and your parents must complete all of the necessary forms. Remember that different forms are submitted to different places, and that you must allow for sufficient processing time to meet due dates. We strongly suggest that you keep a copy of everything you submit. Please put the student's name on the top of any documents you submit to our office.

3. Make sure you haven't missed anything. Check your online financial aid account:

Our applicant portal requires you to have applied for admission before an an account is created. You will receive a username and password usually within 24 hours depending on when the application is submitted. Please contact the IT help desk at if you have problems or questions about your Hampshire portal account.

Check the status of your financial aid application by logging onto our applicant portal Explore Hampshire using your Hampshire account; click on the "My Financial Aid" link under the Financial Aid Checklist; log on again, using the same user name and password. Here you are able to review what forms are required, which forms are missing, your aid award letter, and other important information about your aid application. Please allow a few days for the office to update your records after you submit a required document during our busiest processing time: December through March.

In addition to the Profile and FAFSA, you may be asked to provide supplemental documents such as a high school diploma equivalent, proof of citizenship, copy of your Social Security card, copies of your or your parents' W-2 forms, specific schedules from your or your parents' federal income tax return, and certain documents and data if your FAFSA was selected for the verification process. If we require additional documents your "My Financial Aid" account will list them so check your account periodically to make sure your aid application remains complete. 

4. Notification of your awards:

If your aid application was completed by the appropriate due date, you will receive your financial aid award letter with your admission acceptance mailing. Review the aid information carefully and thoroughly. You will need to accept or decline each of your awards, including your federal student loans. To accept your aid awards log onto your "My Financial Aid" account, click on the My Award Letter tab, and accept, or decline, each individual award. Review more information about your award letter. If you are an international applicant, the process to accept your awards is different; please refer to the International Student page for your instructions.

If your aid application is incomplete at the time your admissions acceptance letter is being sent, you will receive an incomplete letter reminding you of the missing items for your aid application. We will review your aid application after it becomes complete. You will then receive a financial aid award letter from us. 

5. Contact the financial aid office with any questions:

We are here to help you. If you have any questions about the financial aid application process or about your financial aid awards, please contact the financial aid office. Call us at 413.559.5484 or email us at


Stay In Touch
With Financial Aid
Snail Mail
Financial Aid
Hampshire College
893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002