Housing Accommodations

Residence Life and Student Engagement staff are available to discuss any personal issues students may have in relation to their housing assignment, and we will always do our best to find the right placement for every student. However, we know that some conditions necessitate that certain accommodations be met. In these cases, we ask that students officially disclose this information to the College through the Office of Accessibility Resources and Services (OARS). This way, they can rest assured that their needs will be accommodated to the fullest reasonable extent in all aspects of their education.

Learn more about housing-based accommodations

Wheelchair Accessibility

There are several wheelchair-accessible rooms located throughout campus, in the dorms and mods. Each space can be equipped with keyless entry, and includes wheelchair-accessible bathrooms, laundry facilities, and kitchen (in the mods). Please contact the Housing Operations Office for more information.

Substance-Free Spaces

While there is an expectation for all students to comply with all college, local, state, and federal regulations regarding the use of alcohol and other drugs, the substance-free designated housing option provides an added measure of support for people who choose not to smoke, drink alcohol, or use other drugs. Alcohol, tobacco, and federally illegal drugs must not be brought into this designated all gender floor. Residents in this community (and their guests) agree to not come into the floor under the influence of a substance.

Reduced Allergen Floor

A reduced allergen floor is available for students opting for a living environment where others attempt to keep it free of allergens such as dust and mold. Additionally, animals are not permitted in these living spaces.

Dietary Restrictions

Residence Life and Dining Services are happy to discuss the dietary preferences and restrictions of our students and prospective students. Students requiring a specific diet due to a medical necessity should request accommodation through the Office of Accessibility Resources and Services.

Students living in the mods whose food allergies or sensitivities will require changes in behavior on the part of modmates (ex: keeping a nut-free kitchen) should submit a Food Allergy Action Plan (available during the spring housing lottery), detailing the expectations of their living arrangement.

Please contact the Housing Operations Office at housing@hampshire.edu or 413.559.5453 with any questions.