The Residences

Hampshire College has five distinctive residential areas. Most rooms are single occupancy rooms with limited double occupancy rooms available. Currently, all Hampshire College students are able to be assigned in single occupancy rooms.

The Residence Halls

Hampshire's traditional-style residence halls, Dakin and Merrill, house 280 and 247 students, respectively. Most first-year students live in Dakin, while many continuing students and new first-year and transfer students live in Merrill; non-traditional transfer students are often assigned in mods (apartment-style housing). Students living in the residence halls are required to purchase a full-block meal plan.

The Mods

Enfield, Prescott, and Greenwich are apartment-style spaces we call “mods.” Each mod houses four to ten residents. Students living in the mods can manage their meal plan options via The Hub.

Housing Designations

Residence hall communities at Hampshire have space designations such as all gender or non-binary. Additionally, many students choose to live in residential communities based on social identities, common living and learning goals, or specific medical needs.

Residence Life Staff

Housing areas are staffed by a live-in professional residence life coordinator, who is supported by student staff called resident advisors. The resident life coordinators are responsible for overseeing the operations of each area and the well-being of the students living there. Residents have the support of 24/7 on-call staffing that consists of a residence life and student engagement staff, supported by Campus Safety and Wellbeing staff, an on-call mental health clinician, and other student affairs administrators. On-call staff can be reached by calling Campus Safety and Wellbeing at 413.559.5424.

Did You Know?

While some of Hampshire's residential life program is decentralized, providing opportunities for each housing area's unique character, we all abide by centralized policies and expectations outlined in our student handbook.

The Pioneer Valley Transit Authority (PVTA) runs a bus system from Hampshire College to various locations. Click here for more information and click here for a video tutorial.