Federal regulations and college policies require IRB approval for research with human subjects. You are required to submit a formal application if your project or study meets both of these conditions:
- If you are conducting "research," and
- If human subjects are involved, either directly or through the use of identifiable data (pdf) about them.
For purposes of this policy, a "human subject" is any specific living person who is the subject of research, or information about such a person. If you are conducting research with humans as defined in the context of the IRB, you MUST apply for IRB approval before beginning your research. Still not sure?
- Consult a visual flow chart (pdf) of what needs IRB approval
- Some examples of research that do or do not require IRB approval
- Consult your faculty or research advisor
I do need IRB approval, how do I apply?