Find Menu

Applying for Financial Aid

Average Financial Aid Package: $35,143

Average Need-Based Grant: $33,000

For some students, Hampshire is more affordable than a public institution.

Steps to Apply for Financial Aid

1. Apply by the appropriate due date.

Admission Type PROFILE and
NonCustodial PROFILE*
Free Application for
Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Early Decision I
(Fall 2015)
Nov. 15 March 1  
Early Decision II
(Fall 2015)
Jan. 1 March 1  
Early Action
(Fall 2015)
Dec. 1 March 1  
Regular Decision
(Fall 2015)
Feb. 1 Feb. 1  
Transfer Students
(Fall 2015)
March 15 March 15  

First-Year and Transfer
(Spring 2015)

Nov. 1

Nov. 1


Financial aid information for international students

2. Submit required forms.

We use the FAFSA to determine eligibility for various federal and state aid programs including federal student loans, federal and state grants, and federal work study. We use the CSS Profile, in addition to the FAFSA, to help determine eligibility for institutional aid including the Hampshire Grant.

  • CSS Profile We use this form, along with the FAFSA, to help determine your eligibility for Hampshire College aid including the Hampshire Grant. Complete the PROFILE Application online as soon as possible, using estimates if necessary. If your biological or adoptive parents are not together the parent, with whom you reside or provides more financial support, completes the Profile. The other parent will need to complete the Non-custodial Profile; see #3 below. Click here for more information about the Profile.  NOTE:  if you are not planning to apply for institutional need based aid, the CSS Profile is not required; please notify the financial aid office if this is the case.
  • Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) This form determines your eligibility for federal and state aid including federal work study, federal loans, federal grants, and state grants. Click here for more information about the FAFSA. International student applicants do not submit this form.

3. Submit any other required supplemental forms.

  • Non-custodial Profile
    This form is required if your biological or adoptive parents are separated, divorced, or never married and not living together. If applicable, both Profiles are required to complete your financial aid application for institutional aid. The Non-custodial Profile is available online using the password obtained by registering for the Profile. The non-custodial parent should complete the form online as soon as possible, using estimates if necessary.
  • High School Diploma Equivalents
    Due to federal regulations governing financial aid, if you will not be receiving a high school diploma and you wish to be considered for financial assistance, you must submit an equivalent to the admissions office. 
  • IRS 1040 Federal Tax Returns
    The financial aid office does not require federal tax returns of all families. We reserve the right to request full or partial returns in certain cases. You will be notified by letter and/or email if federal tax returns are required to complete your financial aid application. The request will also be listed in your individual account on the Hub. Please DO NOT send us your tax returns unless we specifically request a copy.
  • Verification Documents
    If your FAFSA report is selected for the Verification process you will need to send the financial aid office additional forms. Check TheHub to see what forms are required.

4. Make Sure You Haven't Missed Anything.

You and your parents must complete all of the necessary forms. Remember that different forms are submitted to different places, and that you must allow for sufficient mail and processing time to meet deadlines. We strongly suggest that you keep a copy of everything you submit.

It is important for students to use the same name and correct Social Security number on all application materials. The name used must match the name on the Social Security card. Please put the student's name on the top of each form you submit to our office.

Applicants who do not receive aid at the time of admission must be prepared to pay for the first two semesters of enrollment. The earliest that we can accept a new application will be for the second year of enrollment. Financial aid is not available for students who seek a second bachelor's degree.

Consider applying for an outside scholarship. Learn more about outside scholarships.

Students may check the status of their financial aid application and forms needed to complete it by accessing TheHub at Please allow two weeks for processing.

"There are two reasons why Hampshire graduates achieve so much. One is the kind of person the college attracts. The other is what the college does for them by equipping them to become their own wide-ranging explorers and connection-seekers."

Loren Pope, Colleges that Change Lives (2006)

Hampshire College is a member of Colleges that Change Lives, a non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement and support of a student-centered college search process.

Nothing will ever take the place of an experience.
Not even this website.
Visit Hampshire
Apply Now
At Hampshire you'll learn to connect ideas—and to put them into action. You'll build an education that reflects your passions and your goals.
Apply Now
Request Information
We’ve seen what can happen when you’re the entrepreneur of your own education. Request a viewbook and see for yourself.
Request Information
We’ve seen what can happen when you’re the entrepreneur of your own education. Now see for yourself.
View Outcomes
Stay In Touch
With The Financial Aid Office
Snail Mail
Student Financial Services
Hampshire College
893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002
Phone + Email
877.937.4267 (Toll Free)
Fax: 413.559.5585