Applying for Financial Aid
We encourage students to apply for financial aid at the same time they apply for admission to Hampshire College. Financial aid is not available for students who seek a second bachelor's degree.
- Information for high school students
- Information for international students
- Financial Aid information sheet (pdf)
Outside scholarships may provide funding that does not need to be re-paid. Learn more about outside scholarships.
Steps to Applying for Financial Aid
1. Apply by the appropriate due date:
|Admission Type||2022-2023 Free Application for
Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Early Decision 2
2. Submit the FAFSA:
All applicants (U.S. citizens and permanent resident aliens) who wish to be considered for financial aid must complete the FAFSA.
We use the FAFSA to determine eligibility for institutional aid as well as various federal and state aid programs, including federal student loans, federal and state grants, and federal work study.
- Our FAFSA School Code is 004661
- You may complete and submit your 2022-2023 FAFSA as early as October 1, 2021
- Be sure to include your correct Social Security Number (SSN) and the name on your SSN Card must match the name entered on the FAFSA
- We STRONGLY ENCOURAGE you to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) on the FAFSA to ensure accurate tax and income data is submitted
- Complete the FAFSA by the due dates listed above for your admission type of application
- The FAFSA includes questions about yourself and your custodial parent(s). If your custodial parent has remarried, your step-parent's information must be included
- International & undocumentated applicants DO NOT submit this form
- Click here for more information about the FAFSA.
3. Make sure you haven't missed anything. Check your online financial aid account:
Our applicant portal requires you to have applied for admission before an account is created. You will receive a username and password usually within 24 hours depending on when the application is submitted. Please contact the IT help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have problems or questions about your Hampshire portal account.
Check the status of your financial aid application by logging onto our applicant portal Explore Hampshire using your Hampshire account; click on the "My Financial Aid" link under the Financial Aid Checklist; log on again, using the same user name and password. Here you are able to review what forms are required, which forms are missing, your aid award letter, and other important information about your aid application.
Please allow a few days for the office to update your records after you submit a required document during our busiest processing time: December through March.
In addition to the FAFSA, you may be asked to provide supplemental documents such as a high school diploma equivalent, proof of citizenship, copy of your Social Security card, copies of your or your parents' W-2 forms, specific schedules from your or your parents' federal income tax return, and certain documents and data if your FAFSA was selected for the verification process.
If we require additional documents your "My Financial Aid" account will list them so check your account periodically to make sure your aid application remains complete.
4. Notification of your awards:
If your aid application was completed by the appropriate due date, you will receive your financial aid award letter with your admission acceptance mailing. Review the aid information carefully and thoroughly. You will need to accept or decline each of your awards, including your federal student loans.
To accept your aid awards log onto your "My Financial Aid" account, click on the My Award Letter tab, and accept, or decline, each individual award. Review more information about your award letter. If you are an international applicant, the process to accept your awards is different; please refer to the International Student page for your instructions.
If your aid application is incomplete at the time your admissions acceptance letter is being sent, you will receive an incomplete letter reminding you of the missing items for your aid application. We will review your aid application after it becomes complete. You will then receive a financial aid award letter from us.
5. Contact the financial aid office with any questions:
We are here to help you. If you have any questions about the financial aid application process or about your financial aid awards, please contact the financial aid office. Call us at 413.559.5484 or email us at email@example.com.