How to Move Out
All residents must be completely moved out of their rooms, halls, and mods by 10 a.m. on Sunday, May 20, 2018. Keys must be returned to the HOO by 10 a.m. or a late key charge of $50 will be assessed. A cumulative late stay charge of $50 will be assessed per every 30 minutes a student remains in residence after 10 a.m.
Move Out Checklist
When inspecting rooms at the end of the year, HOO staff members are looking for any missing furniture, damage incurred, or excessive cleaning needed. The basic things you must do before leaving are:
- Remove all your personal belongings. Each year, students leave things behind! If you leave it by accident, you most likely will not be able to get it back as it will be removed promptly by facilities staff. Either way, your account will be billed accordingly.
- Make sure all the original furniture is inside the room. As clearly stated in the student handbook, and in your room contract, you will be billed for any furniture missing at the time of our inspection. As each HOO staff member is looking at more than 300 rooms on move out day, furniture left close to the room (in a common area, hallway, or other bedroom) cannot be accounted for. The furniture must be inside the room from which it came.
- Clean the room. We expect some normal wear and tear, but it should look like cleaning has at least been attempted.
- Lock the door behind you. You are responsible for the state of your room and furniture until the room is inspected, which will likely not be until after 10 a.m. on May 20. It is in your best interest to ensure the door is locked so the room stays in the condition you left it.
- Clean your common area. All residents of a hall or mod are responsible for the condition of the common areas (lounge, living room, kitchen, bathrooms, hallways, etc). Charges for cleaning or damages in common areas will be split between all residents of the area without exception. Don't forget the refrigerator and freezer!
- Return your keys to the HOO. Putting them in a sealed envelope labeled with your name and room number is best. If you leave outside of our business hours (M-F, 8:30-4:30), you can drop them through the mail slot in the interior door of the office, accessible at all times. If you have lost both your keys, please return a labeled key envelope to us with a note letting us know that you've moved out and have lost your keys. This will prevent you being billed incorrectly for a late stay.
Additionally, you should consider the following:
- Review your room contract, and any notes made by the HOO at the bottom of the contract. Your contract can be viewed at any time by going to hoo.hampshire.edu and entering your Hampshire login information.
- Check your common areas for missing chairs/recycling bins/etc. Residence life and housing staff will not be able to look for missing furniture in common areas, hallways, or other rooms: if it is not in your room, you will be charged for it. Please see our list of common damage billing here.
- Make sure all screens are in windows. If a screen is out of a window, it is considered damaged and you may be billed for it. Screens found missing in common areas are billed to the whole mod or hall.
- Make sure all your personal items have been removed from the room. This includes clothes hangers, tacks, wall hangings, etc. Check every drawer a second time before you leave. Many people forget a whole drawer of items! You most likely will not be able to get these items back as they will be removed promptly by facilities staff. Additionally, your account will be billed accordingly.
- Make sure all trash and recycling is taken out to dumpsters. If you cannot find a dumpster, ask your RA, area coordinator, or HOO staff.
Do not leave your keys in any location other than the HOO, including in your room or with a resident advisor or other student. You are solely responsible for ensuring your keys are returned to the HOO.
Checking Out with HOO Staff
When you are ready to leave campus, you may formally check out of your room with HOO staff during our business hours (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.). This is not required, but recommended if you are concerned about potential charges. Check-outs can only be done once all items have been removed from your room. HOO staff will compare the initial room contract you completed to the current room conditions and determine if you will be billed for any damages. At the end of the check-out, HOO staff will take your keys and lock the door to your room. Please be aware that there may be more of a wait for check-outs with HOO staff during busy move-out days.
If you are unable to empty your room fully during HOO business hours, you can ask a residence life staff member in your area office to look at your room by contacting that individual as listed below. The residence life staff member will review a check list with you to give you an idea of what you have done and what you still need to do in order to avoid damage and/or cleaning charges. It remains your responsibility to review move-out checklists yourself and make sure nothing gets missed. Once you are fully moved out, lock your door behind you and return your keys via the mail slot in the HOO entryway. Do not return your keys until you are ready to leave campus.
The Dakin-Merrill Area office is located in the Dakin quad. You can contact the office for their hours at 413.559.5564.
The Greenwich-Enfield Area office is located in Enfield. You can contact the office for their hours at 413.559.5383.
The Prescott Area office is located at the bottom of the 92-96 stairwell. You can contact the office for their hours at 413.559.5463.
Houses re-open for the Fall 2018 semester on Labor Day, Monday, September 3 (please note that the residences open for continuing students on Labor Day every year).