How to Move Out
As the semester draws to a close, we want to provide you with information about how to leave campus and check out of your residential space.
Residences will close at noon on May 16, 2021. In order to complete your move-out process, you will need to sign-up for a check out appointment. These appointments will be offered from April 30-May 16 from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. daily (until noon on May 16). Appointments are limited, so please sign up as soon as you know when you plan to leave campus.
You can sign up for your appointment by going to the following links:
Please make sure to sign up for appointments only in your residential area.
If you require additional accommodations for a check-out appointment, please contact your residence director or area coordinator for assistance:
Dakin: Arielle Wortzel (awSA@hampshire.edu)
Greenwich/Enfield: Will Syldor-Severino (wasSA@hampshire.edu)
Merrill/Prescott: Taylor Donahue (tdSA@hampshire.edu)
If you do not want to meet with a staff member to complete your check out, you can opt into an express check-out. Simply select that option in the sign-up forms linked above. It should be noted, however, that students who opt into an express check-out waive their right to contest damage billing fees that are assessed during the staff inspection.
If you select the express check-out option, simply return your key in a marked envelope through the key return slot in the housing office front door.
Remember that the check-out appointment should be scheduled as the last thing you do before leaving campus as we will be collecting your key from you at the end of the walk-through.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to the housing office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
As a reminder, keys must be returned to a residence life and housing staff member before noon, or a late key fee of $50 will be assessed. Students staying in residences beyond closing will be charged $100 per day.
Sunday morning is not the time to start cleaning and/or packing. A little each day will save you a LOT of stress later.
Some of the most common things students get billed for:
- Not cleaning out the fridge ($50 fee). This means both removing all food, and wiping down the surfaces.
- Forgetting an entire cabinet of food or dishes ($50 fee). Check them before you leave.
- Furniture missing from bedrooms ($35-$350 depending on furniture item missing). All original items MUST be back in your room before you leave, or you will be billed for any missing items.
We will not be able to look for missing furniture that you may have moved or loaned to a friend during our check-out process. If it is not in your room, it is considered lost.
Additionally, you should consider the following:
- Review your room contract, and any notes made by the HOO at the bottom of the contract. Your contract can be viewed at any time by going to hoo.hampshire.edu and entering your Hampshire login information.
- Make sure all screens are in windows. If a screen is out of a window, it is considered damaged and you may be billed for it. Screens found missing in common areas are billed to the whole mod or hall.
- Make sure all your personal items have been removed from the room. This includes clothes hangers, tacks, wall hangings, etc. Check every drawer a second time before you leave. Many people forget a whole drawer of items! You most likely will not be able to get these items back as they will be removed promptly by facilities staff. Additionally, your account will be billed accordingly.
- Make sure all trash and recycling is taken out to dumpsters. If you cannot find a dumpster, ask your RA/CF, area coordinator/resident director, or HOO staff.
All students returning to the College (not going on leave, study abroad or field study) are allowed to store three (3) medium size boxes or mini-fridge in campus storage, either in Merrill or Prescott. Three boxes is a hard limit in order to facilitate storage for all campus residents. Students putting items in campus storage MUST make an appointment with residential staff to access the space. All items left in mods (including outside of mods, in stairwells, in donut centers, and on porches or balconies) after May 16 (without prior authorization) will be disposed of.
Students must store items in boxes provided by the Housing Office. Items left outside of the storage areas in Merrill/Prescott without a scheduled meeting will be disposed of. In order to sign-up for a storage appointment, please complete the Storage Appointment Sign-Up Form. You must sign up with at least 24 hour notice.
Due to our need to enter all mods throughout the summer for general repairs and maintenance, we will not be able to allow the storage of furniture or other large items in the mods. If you need to store large items (couches, tables, etc.), you can work with Campus Storage Company to arrange door-to-door storage during the summer. If you require additional support to fund this, please contact the Dean of Students Office (email@example.com) to request CARES funding. More detailed information about utilizing this service will be provided in the coming days.
If you have any questions, please contact the housing office at firstname.lastname@example.org