Find Menu
Students in Dorm

Guide to Housing

The Dorms

Dakin and Merrill are the traditional-style dormitories, and are home to almost all students during their first year at Hampshire. Around one third of the incoming class are housed in doubles, and the rest in single rooms. Most halls are designated for all genders (including the bathrooms); however, some are designated single-gender. Each hall has a designated noise level that residents must respect. Smoking is not allowed in any of the residences, nor within 25 feet of any building. Substance-free halls are available in both dorms. In addition, there are identity-based halls, interest-based halls, and Living and Learning Communities.

Learn more about the residences »

The Mods

Greenwich, Enfield, and Prescott Houses are apartment-style residences, each offering different architectural styles and social atmospheres. Commonly referred to as "mods," these spaces accommodate from four to ten students and include single and double bedrooms. Mods are equipped with a kitchen, bath(s), and a living-dining area. Mod residents are almost exclusively continuing students, but an extremely limited number of spaces (almost always in double bedrooms with a roommate) are sometimes available for incoming students. Such spaces usually go to older transfer students, and those who need specific accommodations.

Living Off-Campus

As a residential college, Hampshire expects its students to live on campus. Only students 25 years of age or older, students living with their parents within 30 miles of Hampshire, and students with their own families can choose to live off campus. Hampshire sometimes offers other housing exemptions to continuing students if we need to create more bed space on campus. These exemptions are granted on a case-by-case basis. Incoming students are required to live on campus unless they meet one of the automatic exemptions listed above and on our living off campus page. If you qualify for a housing exemption and wish to live off campus, please submit the Application to Live Off-Campus to inform us of this choice.

Residence Life Staff

All houses have professional and student staff who work to create community within the residences. Staff plan programs and activities to enhance students' experience at Hampshire, as well as support the norms for community living and individual student needs. Residence life staff work out of an area office located close to the residence they support. Each area office is your first contact for information and assistance with living at Hampshire. Entering students are particularly encouraged to get to know their professional and student house staff early in their first semester. Each year, the houses offer faculty seminars, study breaks, and discussion groups that focus on issues of campus life or local community service programs. Houses may sponsor programs on social and political topics, as well as joint social programs such as dances and film series.

Substance-Free Environment

Hampshire College is committed to providing substance-free spaces for all residents who request them. Substance-free environments exist in all the housing areas, including several halls in Merrill and Dakin. A substance-free environment is a dorm floor or mod where all residents and their guests agree to keep their hall or mod free from substances at all times. Substances are defined to include alcohol, cigarettes, and other smoking materials as well as illicit drugs. While there is an expectation for the entire community to comply with all state, federal, and local regulations regarding the use of alcohol and other drugs, the substance-free housing option offers an additional measure of support for people who choose not to smoke, drink, or use other drugs. We are finding an increasing number of entering students who, for various reasons, are making that choice. Students interested in this option must complete the Substance-Free Housing contract in addition to their Housing Preference Form.

Living and Learning Communities

This year, Residence Life will be supporting six Living and Learning Communities in Dakin and Merrill Houses. These communities will allow first-year students the opportunity to live with peers who have similar academic interests. Living in the communities will require a 2-hour, bi-weekly commitment for programming facilitated by faculty, staff, and student leaders. Participation in the communities may contribute to the CEL-1 requirement that each first-year student must complete.

Identity-Based Housing and Intentional Housing Communities

Identity-based housing includes various group living situations with a common identity such as race, culture, or sexual orientation. Current identity-based spaces include Queer, Asian Heritage, Students of Color, and Women of Color. We're always open to creating new identity-based halls if enough interest exists. Please make sure to indicate your interest in these spaces on your preference form.

Intentional Housing Communities are living spaces in which the residents have chosen to come together around a particular area of interest that will contribute to and cultivate the campus' culture of learning. They work together with a faculty or staff advisor to educate themselves and the larger community about their area of interest. Students who elect to reside in these spaces can expect to gain meaningful relationships with one another, lasting connections with staff and faculty, access to greater campus resources, and sense of pride in their community.

Medical Accommodations

You may request special accommodations due to physical, psychological, or learning disability needs. This includes environmental and food allergies. Those requests must go through our director of accessibility resources and services at 413.559.5498 or through email at Special accommodations are made only by the coordinator, so please contact them as soon as possible. If no special accommodations are approved, your housing assignment will be made based on your preferences and the availability of rooms.

Dining Services

Hampshire's dining commons is located between Dakin House and Merrill House. All residents of Dakin and Merrill are required to participate in the full meal plan. For further information regarding meal plans, or to discuss special dietary needs, please call James LeChance at 413.559.5750. 

The variety of food offered is diverse, and students may choose from a wide selection. Vegetarian and vegan entrees are served daily along with a well-stocked salad bar. Students may also prepare their own meals in woks. Three meals are served daily on weekdays. Brunch and dinner are served daily on the weekends. The dining commons closes during Thanksgiving break, spring break, and after the last day of Hampshire College exams during the fall semester and after graduation in the spring. 

Other Information About Moving In

A lot of information is available on the Before You Arrive page. During the summer you will receive a packet in the mail with much of this information and more. Be sure to check your Hampshire email account for electronic updates!

If you have questions, please contact the housing operations office at or 413.559.5453. We look forward to your arrival!

The Residences

Find out more about housing options available at Hampshire!

Stay In Touch
With Housing
Snail Mail
Housing Operations Office
Hampshire College
893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002
Phone + Email