January and Summer Residency Policies
Due to COVID-19, these programs may be suspended or changed for the 2020-21 academic year. Information will be distributed to students as soon as it is available. Please check the Daily Digest/Hampshire Announcements, and feel free to reach out to the HOO at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Summer Research Students
Summer housing is available by application only to currently enrolled students of Hampshire College who are working with Hampshire College faculty on faculty-driven projects for at least 25 hours per week during the summer housing session. To be approved, students must also be in good academic and disciplinary standing.
Students working jobs on campus or on their own academic work are not eligible for summer residency.
The summer housing session runs from the first Sunday in June to the first Saturday in August. No early arrival or late stay can be accommodated. The housing rate for summer is $100 per week, billed through the office of student accounts.
Non-Hampshire students, recent graduates, and students recently withdrawn from the College are not eligible for summer housing on campus. All academic and behavioral policies outlined in the Student Handbook apply to any student living on campus during the summer. Violation of any of these policies may result in the student’s removal from summer housing by the dean of students office at any time. Additionally, long-term, unwanted, or disruptive guests will be considered an abuse of summer housing privileges and could result in the hosting student’s removal from summer housing.
The application for summer housing is available after spring break through the last day of Hampshire classes. Decisions will be sent to applicants' Hampshire email accounts within one week of the application closing. Applications will not be reviewed unless a hard copy of the faculty information document is received by the application due date. Applications that are not accepted will be wait-listed and may be accepted at a later date if space permits. Please feel free to contact the HOO with any questions.
Students are not permitted to reside on campus during the winter break, except for the circumstances described below. Housing is available for approved students during the month of January (check the important dates and deadlines page for relevant dates). No early arrivals can be accommodated. There will be no dining services, so students should plan accordingly.
Housing is available by application only to the following students:
- Students studying on campus for the entire academic year or returning for spring semester from field study or exchange (not leave of absence) and completing Division II and III work that requires access to campus facilities such as labs or other specialized equipment for at least 25 hours per week during the residency period.
- Students studying on campus for the entire academic year who are participating in special productions such as theatre performances for at least 25 hours per week during the residency period.
- Students studying on campus for the entire academic year whose work-study positions require them to work on campus during January for no more than 29 hours per week during the residency period
- Students studying on campus for the entire academic year who are unable to make alternate housing arrangements and would thereby experience extraordinary hardship.
The following students are not eligible to apply for January housing:
- Non-Hampshire students
- Students completing Division III in fall 2019
- Students withdrawing from the College
- Students on leave of absence
- Students on field study or exchange in fall 2019 who don’t meet the criteria above
- Students planning to go on leave of absence, field study, or exchange in spring 2020
Applicants must be in good academic and disciplinary standing, and working with Hampshire College faculty or working on campus during the January residency session. All academic and behavioral policies outlined in the Student Handbook apply to any student living on campus during January. Violation(s) of these policies may result in the student’s removal from housing by the dean of students office at any time. Additionally, no guests will be permitted during this time.
Please check the important dates and deadlines page (as well as the daily digest) for application deadlines and updated information. Applications will not be reviewed unless a hard copy of the faculty or supervisor information document is received by the application due date. Please note: Applications based on hardship do not need to include the supervisor document; instead, students must meet with a Res Life and Housing staff member to determine eligibility (email email@example.com for more information or to set up a meeting). Once your application is reviewed, you will be contacted via your Hampshire email address of our decision.
Additionally, the housing operations office maintains a list of community members who can offer a space in their homes (as a house-sitting gig, sublet, or visit) during the winter break. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request more information, add a listing, or gain access to the list.