student in media lab

Leave of Absence from Full-time Enrollment

There are various reasons students might consider a personal leave: to take time away from Hampshire, including personal circumstances, the desire to travel or work; or simply the need for a break. A personal leave is not intended for students planning to obtain academic credit while away. A personal leave may be granted for one term.

In extenuating circumstances, students already enrolled in a term may take a personal leave for the semester, but must meet with a CASA dean to request the leave by the end of the add/drop period at the beginning of the term. Requests for a personal leave after add/drop will be denied, and are considered to be requests for withdrawal from the institution.

Note: A leave of absence is not an active enrollment status, regardless of the nature of activities pursued.

Students on leave of absence do not have an advisor; may not complete divisional exams; may not negotiate the Division II concentration form or the Division III contract; and may not work with faculty. In addition, a student on leave of absence may not have use of any Hampshire College or Five College facilities. Specifically, this involves the library; the Robert Crown Center; the Hampshire College or University of Massachusetts Amherst health services; the Outdoors Program and Recreational Athletics college-sponsored trips; enrolling, teaching, or auditing Hampshire or Five College interchange courses; having a job on campus; or having a validated Hampshire ID card.

Students may purchase the supplemental health insurance offered by Hampshire College that entitles leave students to medical care as outlined in the College insurance company brochure and on the student financial services website. Supplemental insurance does not cover a student for care at the Hampshire College or University of Massachusetts Amherst health services.

Refer to the Student Handbook for more information.

Returning from Leave, Field Study, or Exchange

Information for students planning on returning to Hampshire.
Learn more »


Stay In Touch
With The Center for Academic Support and Advising (CASA)
Snail Mail
Center for Academic Support and Advising (CASA)
Mail Code AC
Hampshire College
893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002