- It is important for students in the CYL program to have multiple opportunities to engage with children and youth in community settings with connections to their academic studies at Hampshire College. These opportunities will be facilitated through course-based placements, internships, and independent studies.
- We value the establishment of community connections that last longer than a semester, and we emphasize the importance for students to consider building a sustained relationship with an organization across their time at Hampshire.
- CYL students are encouraged to make connections between their community engagements with young people and their academic interests and questions through such means as reflective and analytic writing and creative work.
How do I get involved?
- Join the CYL listserve
- Ask faculty associated with the program to serve on your Div. II or Div. III committee; see the list of affiliated faculty at our website
- Attend lectures or discussions sponsored by the program; visit the CYL Calendar
- Create your own CYL Concentration
- Get involved with projects or research led by affiliated CYL faculty
Beth Mattison, Critical Childhood, Youth and Learning Program assistant director, 413.559.5613 firstname.lastname@example.org, or Matthew Haley, Hampshire Youth Connect coordinator and alumni fellow 413.559.5359 and email@example.com